Thursday, April 10, 2014

Using QR Codes to Enhance Learning

A teacher in the Spanish department was using QR codes the other day around her classroom and it got me thinking... what could I do with QR codes to enhance my lessons?

Of course, once I start thinking about ideas, my mind doesn't shut off and I want to try it RIGHT NOW.

We are fortunate enough to have a set of iPads in the library that can be checked out to teachers.  Each iPad has a barcode reader on it that also reads the QR codes.

I gave it a whirl today with my French 1s.  They are currently learning clothing and adjective vocabulary, so I gave them a sheet with 20 different people on it wearing different things.  Then, I made 20 different QR codes (Code A, B, C, etc) that, when scanned, would pop up with a description of someone.  Upon reading the description, they would have to match that description to the correct person on their sheet.

This was an awesome activity.  It really is no different, practice wise, than writing a description on a worksheet and having them match it up.  But in letting them use technology, it gives it an awesome spin that gets them excited about the topic while reinforcing chapter vocabulary.

What I love about this is you can do QR codes with just about anything!  I'm thinking I'll use it when I review the question words and question formation.  They will scan the code, which will pop up with an answer.  They have to come up with a question that would elicit that response.

You can also do QR codes that, when scanned, will speak to the students too.  Especially in foreign language, having the codes speak is an awesome tool!

If you're interested in having a copy for yourself, get it HERE .



1 comment:

  1. Stumbled upon your blog today and love your ideas! We are getting one-to-one iPads next year and I am so excited to try some new stuff with my Spanish 1s and 2s. :)

    ReplyDelete