Thursday, October 25, 2012

I don't get it.

My previous post talked about my French 1s and their horrible quiz scores.  My second set of quizzes from school 2 ended up much better than school 1.  Which confuses me of course considering I taught it the same in each place.  But...that could be the problem.

I'm about 6 quizzes in from my French 2/3 kids.  I gave them a verb quiz today on the verbs that are part of their chapter vocabulary.  Verbs that, mind you, they have had for about 2 1/2 weeks now and they've done numerous upon numerous assignments on and done very well.  So hopefully this explains why I'm really upset that they are abysmal so far.  One kid even got a 5/20.  And he's a French 3.  And some of these are verbs that they have had since French 1.

Part of my frustration is that I feel like they just haven't been adequately taught thus far.  I've been told by multiple teachers, and even the students, that the previous teacher just didn't have her heart in teaching anymore.  She often just had videos and worksheets and didn't do much to explain grammar.  She had them write a lot more than they spoke.

To top it all off, it's cold and drizzly outside.  Thankfully we have a three day weekend coming up because I'm feeling very burnt out.  Hopefully I can recharge and get back to it on Monday!

Their chapter tests are on Thursday because I have a conference on Friday.  Hopefully this is something they can get a little more prepared for.  I did talk to the 1s about their study habits.  I did see a huge correlation between the people who studied and people who got As.  I think part of the problem is that they simply don't know HOW to study.  I give them practice activities online, but they don't use them.  So we did take some time yesterday to make a list of different ways we can study.  They came up with some great ideas so hopefully they can apply those ideas for the test Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment