Thursday, October 2, 2014

One Positive Contact per Week: A Challenge

I came to the unfortunate realization last week that 99% of the times I initiate contact with a parent, it's because of something negative.

I generally try to be a positive person, so this kind of concerned me.

Because of this, I decided to make a challenge for myself: at least once per week, I will initiate contact with a parent for something positive.  My positive e-mail of this week was to a parent whose daughter generally does OK in my class, but averages about a low B to a C.  She failed her first test this year which took her class grade to a D+.  However, she decided to take the time to come in, get some help, do some extra work and then retake her test.  She did so well on the retake that her class grade from a D+ to a B.  How awesome!  I told her father about the improvement and he was very happy to hear about it.

So... I extend this challenge to you my readers.  Send a positive e-mail this week.  And another one next week.  Keep the ball rolling!  Parents will stop cringing every time a teacher e-mail comes in.

From legacyproject.human.cornell.edu

1 comment:

  1. Positive contact with parents is so important, especially for the ones who usually only hear negative words from teachers. I have a student with an F who studied all week and got an A+ on his quiz on Thursday. I will be calling his parents this weekend! Thank you for the reminder that this should be a weekly habit. :)

    ReplyDelete